Hibiscus is a red tea produced from hibiscus sabdarrifa calyx. Hibiscus is locally known as ‘kimusayi’ in Buganda, ‘malakwang’ in Northern Uganda or ‘kelekede’.
HIBISCUS NUTRITITION COMPOSITION:
The hibiscus calyx/flower is rich in Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid), Iron and antioxidants from polyphenols and organic acids.
HIBISCUS HEALTH BENEFITS; as compiled from various research studies and our customer testimonies.
- Hibiscus offers relief to women with menopause hot flashes and menstrual pains. It is amaizing how many young girls get relief in schools from drinking hibiscus. We provide the hibiscus to school nurses to help girls.
- The beverage is rich in Vitamin C which is an immune booster therefore increasing one’s resistance to illness. Hibiscus drinkers get less flus. We have noted better immunity (improved CD4 count) among persons living with HIV/AIDS. The Vitamin C also prevents flu and colds.
- Improved blood lipid profile, antioxidants reduce accumulation of cholesterol in blood (Cholesterol lowering effect).
- Research shows that consuming 3 cups of hibiscus beverages for weeks lowers blood pressure. This is attributed to the antioxidant properties of the hibiscus sabdariffa beverage.
- Diabetes management, the lower cholesterol, triglycerides, free fatty acid, bad cholesterol brought by drinking hibiscus increases insulin sensitivity and therefore better blood glucose control among persons diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus through control of blood sugar levels.
- Blood booster; People with anaemia benefit from Hibiscus as it contains Iron a nutrient vital for making up the red blood cells.
- Better appetite in children and adults. We need more vitamins for appetite and hibiscus is a rich source of vitamin C, you can add to juices or serve as plan hibiscus juice (children often prefer juices).
Get hibiscus that is processed to conserve the nutrients to get the best of the health benefits. Contact +256788559580.
Regina Dietitian-Rena Beverages Solutions